Understanding Why You Have Dry Eyes
Dry eye is an uncomfortable, but common condition which occurs when your tears are unable to properly lubricate your eyes. There are several reasons why this could happen, including your surroundings, habits, or daily activities. Read on to learn about the symptoms of dry eye, and how to treat and prevent dryness.
Dry Eyes Symptoms
The most common symptom of dry eyes is, of course, dry eyes – but, there are other symptoms related to eye dryness that you can look out for, including:
- itchy eyes
- irritated eyes
- scratchy eyes
What Causes Dry Eyes?
While there are many triggers that can cause dry eye, here are some of the most common everyday causes of dry eyes:
- staring at your computer/TV/phone screen for too long
- spending a lot of time in air-conditioned/heated rooms
- cigarette smoke
- wind and sun
- certain medicines like antihistamines and some antidepressants
- contact lenses
- eye surgeries, such as LASIK
How to Get Dry Eye Relief
Lubricating eye drops like VISINE Tears® Dry Eye Relief and Visine Dry Eye Relief All Day® Comfort, can be an effective way to relieve your eyes from dryness and irritation associated with dry eye.
The following tips and tricks can also help relieve and prevent dry eye symptoms and irritation associated with dry eye:
- taking frequent breaks from screen-watching. Try the 20-20-20 Rule. Look away from your screen every 20 minutes and stare at something 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds.
- drinking more water
- using a humidifier
- wearing sunglasses when outdoors to protect your eyes from wind and sun
FYI: When treating dry eye, avoid red eye relief products as those could make your dry eyes feel worse.