Understanding Dry Eyes
Having your eyes feel dryer than a bucket of sand can be annoying—and painful. It’s also very common and, in most cases, easily managed.
Dry Eyes Symptoms
Common symptoms of dry eyes include:
- itchy eyes
- irritated eyes
- scratchy eyes
What Causes Dry Eyes?
Common causes of dry eyes include everyday things like:
- staring at your computer/TV/phone screen for too long
- spending a lot of time in air-conditioned/heated rooms
- cigarette smoke
- wind and sun
- certain medicines like antihistamines and some antidepressants
- contact lenses
- eye surgeries, such as LASIK
How to Get Dry Eye Relief
Ways to help relieve your mild dry eye symptoms include:
- taking frequent breaks from screen-watching. Try the 20-20-20 Rule. Look away from your screen every 20 minutes and stare at something 20 feet in front of you for 20 seconds.
- drinking more water
- using a humidifier
- wearing sunglasses when outdoors to protect your eyes from wind and sun
- eye drops for dry eyes, like VISINE Tears® Dry Eye Relief
FYI: When using eye drops for dry eye, make sure they’re not meant to treat red, bloodshot eyes—those could make your dry eyes feel even worse